Situated on Dumas street, the renowned French Indologist Dr. J. Fillozet established this internationally acclaimed institute in 1995. The institute has separate sections on science, technology, ecology, cartography, pedagogy, Indian languages and culture. The Romain Rolland Library has a collection of over 60,000 books, some of which are rare French volumes. The institute conducts research in arts and sciences and is perhaps the only permanent link with France in Pondicherry.
Libraries & Institutes
The foundation stone of the Institute of Tibetology was laid in 1957 by the 14th Dalai Lama. It houses the huge collection of rare Sanskrit, Lepcha and Tibetan manuscripts, sculptures and Thankas. There are many treasured artifacts and Buddhist icons. It is also the center of Buddhist religion and philosophy. The beautiful architecture and construction is well known of this Institute.
Namgyal Institute of Tibetology, opened officially on 1st October 1958, is a Tibet museum located in Gangtok. This museum was inaugurated by the Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. On 10th February, 1957, the foundation stone of this institute was laid by the 14th Dalai Lama.
Known as the promoter of Tibetan culture, history, religion and art, this institute is home to largest collection of Tibetan works outside Tibet. In addition, this institute also has a museum, which is located on the ground floor. The museum houses a wide collection of thangkas and statues. Ancient manuscripts in different languages such as Sanskrit, Lepcha, Chinese and Tibetan are also included in the collection displayed in the museum.
The Oriental Research Institute is an honored establishment which has a rich and worthful accumulation of Sanskrit holographs. It is the depository of more than 50,000 manuscripts. The Institution was founded in 1891 by the then Government of the Maharaja of Mysore. Gathering, changing, publishing and maintaining old Sanskrit and Kannada holographs was the objective of the Research Institute.
Established in 1898, Indian veterinary institute comprises of a large campus with various departments like Research, Animal Nutrition, genetics and Bacteriology. It also houses a museum and a library.
Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI) is one of the premier research institute dedicated to livestock research and development of the region. On the recommendation of the Cattle Plague Commission, Indian Veterinary Research Institute was commissioned in 1893 at Mukteshwar to assist the separation and quarantine of highly infectious organisms. The institute researches in animal nutrition, genetics and bacteriology.
A renowned institution of research in Himalayan Geology, the Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology at Dehradun has been acknowledged as a National Laboratory of global status with outstanding facilities. Functioning as an autonomous body, this celebrated institute is named after its founding father, Sri D N Wadia, a well known figure in the field of geological research. Besides aiding the research scholars, this institute also controls some of the research stations in the isolated Himalayan regions. The library of the Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology holds more than 20,000 books along with journals and monographs.