Rangapillai Built in 1773, this mansion is a fine specimen of indo - French architecture. Ananda Rangapillai was the courtier of Joseph francois dupleix , the governor. The dairy which Rangapillai maintained between 1736 - 60 is a book of great value as a source of information on the history of Pondicherry and the French in India.
The Place Du Gouvernement is a brilliant example of town planning in Pondicherry. Comprising the 18th century Palais Du Gouvernemei/t - now the Raj Nivas (not open to the public) - and the old tribunals - now housing the Legislative Assembly - alongwith a neat three-sided line-up of other handsome buildings.
The Teen Murti Bhavan housed the first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru. It was designed by Robert Tor Russel, the architect of Connaught Place, and the Eastern and Western Courts on Janpath. The Bhavan was originally the residence of the Commander-in-Chief of the British Forces in India. However, after independence the house was taken over as the residence of Jawaharlal Nehru. And on his death, the house was converted into a national memorial comprising a library and a museum. The library is one of the finest ones for information on modern Indian history.
Popularly known as the North Block and South Block the present seat of the ministry of Finance and External affairs respectively was the original Secretariat built on Raisina hill. These imposing structures are topped with Chatris on the corners giving it a typical oriental look.
Formely the Viceregal Lodge, the building is the highlight of Lutyen's New Delhi and was completed in 1929 at a cost of 12,53,000 pound sterling. Located in an area of 130 hectares, the palace has 340 rooms. At one time, 2,000 people were required to look after the building and serve the Viceroy's household. The lodge also has impressive garden called the Mughal Garden, which is open to public twice in a year, usually in February and March.
The seat of Indian Parliament is a marvelous piece of architecture designed by the famed architect Lutyens and constructed under the direct supervision of Sir Herbert Baker. Visitors are not allowed to loiter inside the building without special permission, for security reasons. For the foreign visitors permits are given only after they obtain an introductory letter from the respective embassy. Designed as a circular structure, the House is 171 meters in diameter and about one-third of a mile in circumference.
At first sight, the Jantar Mantar appears like a gallery of modern art. It is, however, an observatory. Sawai Jai Singh II of Jaipur (1699-1743), a keen astronomer and a noble in the Mughal court, was dissatisfied by the errors of brass and metal astronomical instruments. Under patronage from the emperor, he set on himself the task of correcting the existing astronomical tables and updating the almanac with more reliable instruments. Delhi's Jantar Mantar is the first of the five observatories that he built with large masonry instruments.
Built as a memorial to commemorate the 70,000 India soldiers killed in World War I, India Gate was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and completed in 1931. Located on Rajpath, the road that leads to the magnificent Rashtrapati Bhawan, the gate is 160 feet high with an arch of 138 feet. Built from sandstone, the arch also houses the Eternal Flame, a gesture in memory of the Indian soldiers who laid their lives in the 1971 war with Pakistan.