Fort St George is an important and marvelous landmark in Chennai. In Tamil Nadu political leaders aim to reach this Fort, as the Secretariat and Legislative Assembly are housed here. This beautiful edifice is situated on the eastern side of the city, on the shores of the Bay of Bengal. The British East India Company, under the direct supervision of Andrew Cogon, built it in 1640 AD. This place achieved its name from Saint George, the patron saint of England. The fort houses Saint Mary's Church and fort museum. Saint Mary's Church the oldest Anglican Church built in 1680 and the tombstones in its courtyard are the oldest British tombstones in India. The 46 m high flagstaff at the front is a mast salvaged from the 17th century shipwreck. Fort St George is regarded as the birthplace of the modern Indian army. It houses a number of non-military structures within its precincts. Thick massive walls and moats surround the fort. Fort St George houses several interesting monuments, which include st. Mary's Church (the oldest Anglican Church built in 1680), Fort Museum and the tombstones in the courtyard.