Captain Bailey's Dungeon


Captain Bailey’s Dungeon is a fortress with measurements of 30.5m x 12.2m built of brick and mortar. On a lifted platform near the fort wall are the fortress where Tipu's prisoners of war were imprisioned. In the underground of the prison hooks on the walls on to which the prisoners hands were chained can be seen.

The fortress was named after Colonel Bailey who passed away here in 1780 A.D. During the military blockade at Srirangapatnam a cannon rolled back piercing the ceiling and fell into the dungeon which can still be seen here.