Must not be confused with the house of the same name within the Residency. It is on the left hand side of the Hazrat Ganj, coming from the Cantonment. Till 1932, the house including a large group of buildings huddled round the central one was used as General Post Office. The Begum Kothi was built by King Amjad Ali Shah as a palace for his Queen, Malka Ahad Begum. The building was not conspicuous during the Mutiny till March 1858, when two batteries bombarded it continuously for 24 hours.