The great temple of Raghunathji is claimed to have been erected some 10000 years ago. It is built of massive uncemented stones, standing upon a terrace in the upper part of the town consisting of an irregular pyramid capped by a white cupola with a golden ball and spire. The shrine was destroyed during an earthquake in 1803, and was later rebuilt with the support of Daulat Rao Scindia.
According to a local legend, Lord Rama worshipped here after his victory over Lanka. The temple compound also hosts Annapurna Devi Temple, Hanuman Temple, Shankaracharya Temple and Garud Temple.