Dona Paula is located in the suburbs of Panaji. The village is famous for housing the National Institute of Oceanography and is around 4.7 km from Bambolim. Dona Paula was renowned as Oddavell, which was renamed after the lady called Paula, the woman of charity.
Located at the point where two rivers meet the Arabian Sea, the bay provides a view of Marmugao Harbour. Situated on a rocky, hammer shaped headland, the village has become a commercialised location for beach resorts and restaurants. Major attraction of this village is the Dona Paula Beach, which provides opportunity for enjoying various watersports.
According to the customs of the Portuguese, Dona is the title given to married women. The place received its name from Paula Amaral Antonio de Souto Maior, who was the daughter of the Portuguese Viceroy of Jaffnapatnam. After her death on 16th December 1682, she was buried in the transept of the Chapel at the Governor's Palace.