Shri Ganganagar, also known as "the food basket of Rajasthan", is a northern most city of State, surrounded by Haryana in the northeastern side, Bikaner in the south, Hanumangarh in the east and Pakistan in the northwest and west. It is said to be influenced by the town planning of Paris. Before independence it was a part of Bikaner and is on the border of India and Pakistan. It is one of the biggest military bases and was named after Maharaja Ganga Singh, the Maharaja of Bikaner. It is also famous for its longest concrete lined canal in the world which was built in 1927 by the Maharaja Ganga Singh.
Named after Maharaja of Bikaner. Sri Ganganagar District was part of Bikaner State. This was mostly uninhabited region. History of this district is testimony of Vision and Efforts of Maharaja Sri Ganga Singh Ji who visualised and build Gang Canal after the great famine of 1899-1900. Waters of Satluj river were brought into the region through 89 Miles Long Gang Canal in 1927 and turned this region into the bread basket of Rajsthan. This is one of the most prosperous District not only of Rajathan but also India.
Maharaja Ganga Singh Dental College was established named after the great king.
Air: A good network of roads and railways connects Ganganagar District to the rest of India. Nearest airpots are Jaipur, Delhi and Chandigarh.
Rail: There are trains from Kandla (Gujarat) as well from Pathankot (Punjab) to this place.
Road: NH-15 is running from Sriganganagar to Sanchore, which is well linked with all the major areas of Sri Ganganagar.