Don Francisco D. Almeida, the first Portuguese Viceroy of India, build the fort in 1505 AD. The fort had a chequered history. It changed hands to the Douche, then to the Ali Raja of Arakkal and finally to the British. The barracks, the magazine, cannons and the ruins of a chapel are all standing testimony history on the shores of the sea. Fort St. Angelo is a protected monument under the archaeological survey of India.