Fort Aguada was constructed by the Portuguese in the early 16th century. Built with an aim to prevent Goa from the attacks of the conquerors, the fort was bounded by huge walls from every corner. Apart from this, the threat of enemies entering via River Mandovi, played a vital role in securing the fort on all sides.
Owing to its beautiful architecture and surrounding beauty, the fort attracts thousands of visitors every year. From the top of the fort, a view of adjoining beaches situated on the borderline of the state of Maharashtra is available.
The fort also houses a citadel, which possess an orbicular lighthouse tower, constructed in the year 1864. Cabo Raj Niwas can be observed from the top of the lighthouse.